Bible Study A Sunday School

Description of your forum.

Bible Study A Sunday School

Postby Dea » Thu May 15, 2014 11:53 am

STEWARDSHIP STARTS WITH GOD
Dr. Robert S. Hallett, TLC Ministries

Scripture Focus: I Chronicles 29:9-18

Key Verse: “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.” (I Chron. 29:14 NIV)

Lesson Aim: To embrace the principles of stewardship personally, as David did.

Related Scriptures: I Chronicles 28, 29
Psalm 24:1, 2
Psalm 132:1-5

SESSION OVERVIEW

David is a prime example of a person who truly enjoyed his giving. For him, giving so generously brought such inner satisfaction that he “rejoiced greatly.”(I Chron. 29:9)

David was at last seeing the fulfillment of a lifelong dream – to see the building of the Temple finally getting started.

David clearly embraced the principles of stewardship: the greatness and worthiness of God, God’s ownership of all things, God’s supply from His eternal resources and our looking after them as “tenant farmers,” and how God tests the integrity of the heart.

David enjoyed his giving because these principles became his own. It is when we refuse to accept them, and sometimes even challenge them, that giving becomes an irritation to us. To talk of giving from our own supply will only raise our defenses and lower our sights. But those who embrace these principles for themselves will surely enjoy their giving, for it comes from a pure heart of love.

Good news – “God loves a cheerful giver.”(II Cor. 9:7)

CONCEPT ONE: GOD IS HEAD OVER ALL
(I Chronicles 29:10-13)

“David praised the Lord in the presence of the whole assembly, saying, ‘Praise be to you, O Lord, God of our father Israel, from everlasting to everlasting. Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours. Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom; you are exalted as head over all. Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all. Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.’”

God is great because of who He is. The strength of a person’s identity determines how well we listen to him/her.

God’s ownership of everything is unquestioned by David. If the greatness of God allowed Him to create this world out of nothing, then He has first claim upon it. God has never given away His right to the ownership of this world.

Ownership brings with it the right of use and distribution. There can never be two separate and ultimate authorities for anything. We cannot own something if God already owns it!

We are God’s “tenant farmers.” The titles we hold are best understood as loan papers.

David could praise the Lord because he was not afraid of where it would take him. Our view of God must necessarily affect our view of life, our living, our priorities, our conduct, and our giving.

“To God be the glory” should never be an isolated phrase, for it opens the door of our lives to the examination and control by the One to whom we ascribe such praise. If God is worthy of our praise, He is also worthy of our trust and commitments.

CONCEPT TWO: THE PRIVILEGE OF STEWARDSHIP
(I Chronicles 29:9, 14-16)

9 – “The people rejoiced at the willing response of their leaders, for they had given freely and wholeheartedly to the Lord. David the king also rejoiced greatly.”

14-16 – “But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand. We are aliens and strangers in your sight, as were all our forefathers. Our days on earth are like a shadow, without hope. O Lord our God, as for all this abundance that we have provided for building you a Temple for your Holy Name, it comes from your hand, and all of it belongs to you.”

The emphasis is on our stewardship of the whole, not just giving a part of it.

God already owns all that we call ours.

David knew he did not earn anything totally on his own – even his skills, talents, and abilities – all had come from the hand of God.

It is not difficult to return something to its rightful owner. Unless we are filled with greed. Then the temptation is to keep it.

God is the rightful owner of everything we are and have, without exception.

“The happiest people on the face of the earth are those who have learned the joy of giving.”

Stewardship is a privilege, the extent of which we create for ourselves. We are stewards already. How good are we in our stewardship?

CONCEPT THREE: THE TEST OF INTEGRITY
(I Chronicles 29:17-18)

“I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity. All these things have I given willingly and with honest intent. And now I have seen with joy how willingly your people who are here have given to you. O Lord, God of our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Israel, keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever, and keep their hearts loyal to you.”

“The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”(I Sam. 16:7)

Ananias and Sapphira were caught: “You have not lied to men but to God.”(Acts 5:4) What if our punishment was as immediate as theirs?

God tests every heart for integrity.

All the big gifts in the world are worthless to the giver if their motives are not pure before God.

If someone has wrong motives, is it right to give? The answer is not in the giving of the gift, but in the heart of the giver. Let the giver pray until his/her heart is pure, and then let him/her give generously and joyously out of a pure heart. Don’t let your attitude become an excuse, rather, purify your attitudes!

Joyful givers can have a very positive influence on even the grouches around them, multiplying the good done in the kingdom.

By extension, David prays for us today, “Keep this desire in the hearts of your people forever.”(I Chron. 29:18)

Ask God to search your heart. Settle the issue of God’s ownership in your own heart, along with your willingness to be the steward God asks and expects of you. Especially in your giving.
Dea
Site Admin

Return to Your forum